“Holding space” is a concept that has achieved near-mainstream status – but what does it really mean? I think this article and video from Uplift Connect do a good job of putting the concept into everyday terms. (See some of their tips below the video.)
Here’s the bare list of tips they offer – visit the article to see the full text for each.
8 Tips to Help You Hold Space for Others
1. Give people permission to trust their own intuition and wisdom.
2. Give people only as much information as they can handle.
3. Don’t take their power away.
4. Keep your own ego out of it.
5. Make them feel safe enough to fail.
6. Give guidance and help with humility and thoughtfulness.
7. Create a container for complex emotions, fear, trauma, etc.
8. Allow them to make different decisions and to have different experiences than you would.